Customise Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Alberta Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides says the province is moving to ban cellphones in kindergarten to Grade 12 classrooms starting in the fall. Nicolaides is sworn into cabinet, in Edmonton, Friday, June 9, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson.



CALGARY - Starting this fall, Alberta will prohibit cellphones in kindergarten to Grade 12 classrooms.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides announced on Monday that while cellphones can aid learning, they often serve as distractions and can contribute to cyberbullying. Exceptions will be made for students who need phones for health purposes, such as monitoring blood sugar levels, or for specific learning requirements.

Apart from these exceptions, students will be required to keep personal devices turned off and out of sight during class. Additionally, school internet networks will restrict access to social media, Nicolaides said.

Previously, Alberta allowed individual school boards to set their own rules regarding cellphone use, leading to inconsistent policies. Concerns from teachers and parents about the disruptive impact of phones prompted the government to take action.

"The risks to students' mental well-being and academic success are real, and we must take steps now to combat these effects," Nicolaides emphasized.

Alberta joins Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia in implementing or announcing similar cellphone restrictions in schools.

A survey conducted by the Alberta government included over 68,000 parents, teachers, students, and principals, with about 90% expressing concerns about cellphone use in schools and advocating for limitations.

School boards will be responsible for implementing and enforcing the new rules, ensuring they align with provincial standards. Nicolaides advised parents and guardians to stay informed through their local school authorities for further details.

In May, the Alberta Teachers' Association members voted to support restricting smartphones in classrooms during instructional time. President Jason Schilling welcomed this initiative but noted that further details are needed regarding the implementation and support for teachers and school leaders.

Two major provincial organizations also supported the change. Kerry Bodell, president of the Alberta School Councils' Association, said that setting standards for mobile device use, while acknowledging exceptions and school authority autonomy, will help maintain a focus on learning. Andrea Holowka, president of the College of Alberta School Superintendents, appreciated the practical approach of allowing school authorities the flexibility to meet students' unique learning needs within a regulatory framework.

Opposition NDP education critic Amanda Chapman expressed cautious optimism that the new policy will strike a balance between learning and access to technology. However, she highlighted the absence of a government commitment to teaching digital literacy.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

You may also like

NDP Suggests Victory Bonds To Fight Tariff Effects

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh has introduced a new plan to support Canada during the ongoing trade tensions. He wants Canadians....

Poilievre Rejects Claims Linking Liberals To Western Breakup

Federal Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre has spoken out against comments made by Preston Manning, the former head of the Reform....

White House Removes Administration Officials After Meeting With Laura Loomer

The White House has removed several top officials from the administration. At least three people from the National Security Council....

Chris Barber, Tamara Lich Cleared Of Most Convoy Protest Charges

Chris Barber and Tamara Lich have been cleared of most charges tied to their roles in the 2022 truck convoy....

Senate Votes To End Trump-Era Canada Tariffs With Bipartisan Support

Several Republican senators joined Democrats to stop Donald Trump’s tariffs on Canada. The vote, held in the Senate, was a....

Webb Telescope Captures Images Of Asteroid Once Seen As A Threat

The Webb Space Telescope has captured images of asteroid 2024 YR4, which once sparked concern when scientists thought it might....

Liberals Hold 8-Point Lead Over Conservatives In New Nanos Poll

The federal Liberals continue to hold an eight-point lead over the Conservatives as the election campaign reaches its 11th day.....

Carney Reconsiders Buying U.S. F-35 Fighter Jets

Prime Minister Mark Carney is reviewing Canada’s decision to buy 88 F-35 fighter jets, each costing $85 million. The government....

Canada Vows Strong Response To Trump Tariffs, Says Carney

U.S. President Donald Trump declared a major tariff plan on what he called “Liberation Day” on Wednesday. The new policy....

Toronto Police Union Calls For Action After Stabbing Suspect Released On Bail

Toronto’s police union is raising concerns after learning that the suspect in three recent random stabbings had previously been released....

Conservatives Drop Montreal Candidate Over Social Media Posts

A Conservative Party candidate in Montreal has been removed after posts he made on social media. Stefan Marquis, who was....

Man Shot And Killed In Car At Busy Brampton Plaza, Police Say

A man lost his life after being shot while sitting in a vehicle at a crowded Brampton plaza on Tuesday....