Over 23,000 people have been forced to leave their homes, and hundreds of buildings have been damaged. Getty Images



Wildfires sweeping through South Korea’s southeast have killed at least 18 people and injured 19 others. The Ministry of the Interior and Safety confirmed the latest figures as the country struggles with its worst-ever wildfire disaster.

Acting President Han Duck-soo called the situation “unprecedented” and said the fires are “rewriting history” due to their severity. Over 23,000 people have been evacuated, with many losing their homes. The blazes have also damaged cultural landmarks, including the destruction of the 1,300-year-old Gounsa Temple in Uiseong.

A firefighting helicopter crashed in Uiseong County around midday on Wednesday. Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash, but no further details have been released.

Thousands of firefighters, supported by around 5,000 military personnel, are working tirelessly to contain the flames. Helicopters from the US military in South Korea have also been deployed to assist.

On Tuesday, the national fire agency raised the wildfire crisis to its highest alert level, marking the first time this year that such a warning has been issued.

The current wildfires have already become the deadliest in South Korea’s history. While wildfires are rare in the country, these blazes have caused more deaths in a few days than any previous fire incidents.

Along with the tragic loss of life, the fires have burned over 17,000 hectares of forest, making them the third largest in the country’s history in terms of area destroyed.

The ancient Gounsa Temple, which was built in 618 AD, was reduced to ashes. Forestry officials confirmed that a Buddhist architectural structure from the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), classified as a national treasure, was also destroyed.

Despite the large-scale firefighting efforts, strong winds continue to fuel the spread of the flames, making it difficult to contain the fires.

“We were desperately hoping for rain today or tomorrow to help put out the flames,” Han said. However, the Korea Meteorological Administration reported no rain in the forecast for Wednesday and only a small amount, around five to 10 millimeters, expected on Thursday.

Han promised a thorough review of the country’s wildfire response once the crisis is under control. He also vowed to improve prevention strategies in the future.

“Putting out wildfires demands huge resources and puts many lives at risk,” he said.

South Korea has been experiencing unusually dry weather, with below-average rainfall. So far this year, the country has faced 244 wildfires, more than double the number during the same period last year.

The government announced plans to strengthen enforcement against illegal burning, which is one of the main causes of wildfires. Authorities also warned they will crack down on carelessness that contributes to fire outbreaks.

The fires, which started last Friday in Sancheong County, have now spread to neighboring areas, including Uiseong, Andong, Cheongsong, Yeongyang, and Yeongdeok.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

You may also like

Israel Expands Gaza Operation To Seize Large Areas, Orders Mass Evacuations

Israel’s Defense Minister, Israel Katz, announced on Wednesday a major expansion of the military operation in Gaza. The plan includes....

Palestinian Man Tortured To Death After Criticizing Hamas, Family Says

A 22-year-old Palestinian man, Uday Rabie, was tortured and killed after publicly criticizing Hamas and joining protests against the group....

Iceland Volcano Erupts, Forcing Evacuations Near Grindavik

A powerful volcanic eruption in southwest Iceland has forced residents and tourists to evacuate. The volcano erupted early in the....

U.S. Seeks Death Penalty For Luigi Mangione In CEO’s Murder

U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi has ordered federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty for Luigi Mangione. He is accused....

UAE Court Sentences Three To Death For Murder Of Rabbi Zvi Kogan

A court in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has sentenced three people to death for the murder of Zvi Kogan,....

Bodies Of Aid Workers Found In Gaza Mass Grave After Israeli Attacks

The bodies of more than a dozen aid workers have been found in southern Gaza, after they were reported missing....

Rescue efforts fade three days after quake kills 2,000 in Myanmar

Rescue teams are still searching for survivors in Myanmar, three days after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake devastated the region. The....

Marine Le Pen Banned From Presidency Run After Embezzlement Conviction

Le Pen was given a four-year prison sentence, with two years suspended, and also fined. However, neither the sentence nor....

Israel Strikes Southern Beirut After Accusing Hezbollah Of Rocket Fire

Israel launched airstrikes on southern Beirut on Friday for the first time since the November ceasefire. The strike came after....

Massive Earthquake Kills Over 694 & Injures 1600  In Myanmar and Thailand

A powerful earthquake measuring 7.7 magnitude hit central Myanmar, causing widespread destruction and claiming over 150 lives. The tremors were....

Venezuelans Deported To Mega-Prison Face Harsh, Inescapable Conditions

Gertrudis Pineda is devastated. Her son, Oscar, is among 238 Venezuelans deported by the US to a notorious high-security prison....

Aid Workers Killed And Missing In Gaza As Israeli Blockade Continues

More than a dozen aid workers have died or gone missing in Gaza in recent days as Israel’s blockade on....