
The Tel Aviv skyline in Israel on Thursday morning, March 20, 2025, as sirens rang out after the military intercepted a missile fired by Yemen’s Houthi rebels. REUTERS
Israel’s military intercepted a missile fired by Yemen’s Houthi rebels early Thursday. This is the second time the group has targeted Israel since the recent collapse of the Gaza ceasefire. Meanwhile, the US launched new airstrikes against the Iran-backed group in Yemen.
The Houthis claimed responsibility for the missile attack, saying it was launched in support of Palestinians. The group said the missile was aimed at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv. Sirens rang out in several areas, including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed that they intercepted the missile before it entered Israeli airspace. No injuries were reported, according to emergency services.
The Houthis also claimed they fired ballistic and cruise missiles, along with drones, at the US aircraft carrier USS Harry Truman and several American warships in the Red Sea.
The missile attack followed intense US airstrikes on Houthi targets in Yemen late Wednesday and early Thursday. The strikes hit several areas, including the capital Sanaa. US President Donald Trump threatened the Houthis, saying they would be “completely annihilated.”
The Houthis have been attacking ships in the Red Sea since late 2023, significantly disrupting global trade. The group says it will continue targeting US and Israeli interests until the fighting in Gaza stops. They had briefly paused their attacks during the Israel-Hamas ceasefire, which began in January but fell apart this week.
US airstrikes have killed dozens in Yemen over the past week. On Wednesday, strikes in Sanaa injured seven women and two children in a residential neighborhood, according to Houthi health officials.
The US military also bombed targets in Al-Jawf, Hodeidah, and Saada on Wednesday and Thursday. Houthi-run media shared footage of civil defense teams battling fires, damaged buildings, and wounded civilians, including two children with bloodied faces and clothing.
The US Central Command confirmed its forces are carrying out continuous operations against the Houthis. However, it did not specify the locations of the latest strikes.
Over the weekend, US airstrikes killed at least 53 people and wounded nearly 100 in Yemen, according to Houthi health officials. Many of the victims were women and children.
Middle East Tensions Escalate
Israel’s renewed conflict with Hamas in Gaza has worsened tensions across the region. On Wednesday, the Israeli military expanded its ground offensive in Gaza, recapturing parts of a key area known as the Netzarim Corridor. This stretch of land divides Gaza into two, separating the north and south.
Israeli airstrikes on Tuesday killed over 400 people in Gaza, making it one of the deadliest days in the war. Since then, dozens more Palestinians have died in further attacks.
Gaza’s Civil Defense warned that famine is imminent. Israel’s blockade of humanitarian aid for nearly three weeks has left hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinians struggling for food and medical supplies.