A girl is lying in bed at night, browsing through her phone. Getty Images


November 07, 2024 Tags:

In a bold move to protect young people from the harmful effects of social media, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced that the government would introduce legislation to ban social media access for children under the age of 16. The policy, which the government claims will be world-leading, aims to shield children from the negative impacts of online platforms.
At a press conference on Thursday, Albanese made it clear that the government was taking a firm stance against the influence of social media on kids. “Social media is doing harm to our kids and I’m calling time on it,” he said. The Prime Minister emphasized that this legislation would be introduced into the Australian Parliament later this year, and the laws would be enforced 12 months after being ratified by lawmakers.

The proposed ban would not allow any exceptions for children with parental consent. This means that no matter the circumstances, kids under 16 would not be able to access platforms like Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), and YouTube unless they meet the legal age requirement. Albanese clarified that it would be the responsibility of social media platforms to prove they are taking adequate steps to prevent underage access, shifting the burden away from parents and children.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland explained that the legislation would target major social media platforms, including Meta's Instagram and Facebook, ByteDance’s TikTok, and X, owned by Elon Musk. Alphabet’s YouTube would also likely fall under the scope of the proposed laws. These platforms have been widely criticized for the negative effects they can have on children, including exposure to harmful content, cyberbullying, and mental health issues.

While the new policy sets Australia apart as one of the strictest countries in regulating social media access for children, it’s not the first to take action. Other countries, like France, have proposed similar restrictions. Last year, France suggested banning social media for children under 15, though it allowed users to bypass the ban with parental consent. Meanwhile, in the United States, technology companies have been required to get parental consent for children under 13 to access data. This has led many social media platforms to impose age restrictions, preventing users under 13 from using their services.

Australia’s move has sparked discussions about the balance between protecting children and allowing them freedom to use social media. While many parents and experts support the idea, arguing that social media platforms are contributing to anxiety, depression, and other issues among young users, some critics believe the government may be overstepping. These critics argue that parents should have the final say in their children’s online activities.

Despite the debate, the Australian government is committed to following through with the policy. The legislation will be a crucial test for how governments around the world address the role of social media in young people's lives. If passed, it could pave the way for other countries to consider similar measures.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

You may also like

Airstrike On Gaza School Kills 27, Says Health Officials

At least 27 people died after an airstrike hit a school in Gaza City. The building, Dar al-Arqam school, was....

Survivors Found Days After Myanmar’s Deadly Earthquake

Two men have been rescued from the rubble in Myanmar, more than five days after a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake....

South Korea's President Yoon Removed Over Martial Law Move

South Korea’s top court removed President Yoon Suk Yeol from office on Friday. The decision came four months after he....

India Passes Controversial Bill Changing Muslim Endowment Rules Amid Opposition

India’s parliament passed a bill on Thursday that changes the rules for managing Muslim charitable endowments known as waqfs. Prime....

Gaza hit by deadly strikes as Israel pushes new military route

Israel's prime minister announced an expansion of military operations in Gaza, aiming to put more pressure on Hamas. Deadly airstrikes....

Deadly Storms And Tornadoes Threaten Millions Across The U.S.

Strong, warm winds blowing at 50 mph swept into southwestern Tennessee on Wednesday, knocking out power for thousands. This was....

Putin Orders 160,000 New Troops As Ukraine War Intensifies

Russia is launching one of its biggest military recruitment drives in years. President Vladimir Putin has signed an order to....

Trump Places Tariffs On Remote Islands Near Antarctica

A group of isolated volcanic islands near Antarctica, covered in ice and home only to penguins, is now caught in....

Israel Expands Gaza Operation To Seize Large Areas, Orders Mass Evacuations

Israel’s Defense Minister, Israel Katz, announced on Wednesday a major expansion of the military operation in Gaza. The plan includes....

Palestinian Man Tortured To Death After Criticizing Hamas, Family Says

A 22-year-old Palestinian man, Uday Rabie, was tortured and killed after publicly criticizing Hamas and joining protests against the group....

Iceland Volcano Erupts, Forcing Evacuations Near Grindavik

A powerful volcanic eruption in southwest Iceland has forced residents and tourists to evacuate. The volcano erupted early in the....

U.S. Seeks Death Penalty For Luigi Mangione In CEO’s Murder

U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi has ordered federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty for Luigi Mangione. He is accused....