Venezuelan migrants look at a US map at a welcome center in El Paso, Texas, in 2022. Getty Images



US President Donald Trump’s administration has announced it will revoke the temporary legal status of over 530,000 migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela. These migrants must leave the country before their permits and protection from deportation expire on April 24. The federal government issued a notice informing them of the deadline.

The migrants were part of the CHNV programme, which was introduced during President Joe Biden’s term. It aimed to create a legal pathway for migrants from these four countries to enter and stay in the US temporarily. Under the programme, migrants could fly into the country if they had an American sponsor. They were granted two years of temporary protection, known as parole, which allowed them to live and work in the US.

Biden’s administration initially argued that CHNV would help reduce illegal border crossings by giving migrants a legal route into the US. It was also meant to improve the screening process for new arrivals. However, Trump suspended the programme as soon as he took office, claiming it had failed to meet its goals.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) defended the decision, stating that the programme had created chaos. It claimed that migrants under CHNV took jobs from American workers and said that Biden’s policies had contributed to rising crime rates. DHS also blamed the previous administration for forcing civil servants to continue supporting the programme, even when cases of fraud were identified.

The government notice mentioned that some CHNV migrants could still be allowed to remain in the US on a "case-by-case" basis, but no further details were provided.

Trump’s administration is also considering removing legal protections for 240,000 Ukrainians who fled to the US during the war with Russia.

Since its launch in 2022, CHNV has helped over 213,000 Haitians enter the US as conditions worsened in Haiti. It also allowed 120,700 Venezuelans, 110,900 Cubans, and over 93,000 Nicaraguans to migrate legally before Trump shut it down.

In addition to ending CHNV, the DHS announced last month that it would cancel another legal protection known as Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for 500,000 Haitians by August. TPS was originally granted to people from countries facing severe crises, such as war or natural disasters. DHS also terminated TPS for Venezuelans, although this decision is currently being challenged in court.

Since Trump took office in January, his tough immigration policies have faced several legal battles. However, he continues to push forward with his agenda, aiming to crack down on temporary migration programmes introduced by the previous administration.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

You may also like

Airstrike On Gaza School Kills 27, Says Health Officials

At least 27 people died after an airstrike hit a school in Gaza City. The building, Dar al-Arqam school, was....

Survivors Found Days After Myanmar’s Deadly Earthquake

Two men have been rescued from the rubble in Myanmar, more than five days after a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake....

South Korea's President Yoon Removed Over Martial Law Move

South Korea’s top court removed President Yoon Suk Yeol from office on Friday. The decision came four months after he....

India Passes Controversial Bill Changing Muslim Endowment Rules Amid Opposition

India’s parliament passed a bill on Thursday that changes the rules for managing Muslim charitable endowments known as waqfs. Prime....

Gaza hit by deadly strikes as Israel pushes new military route

Israel's prime minister announced an expansion of military operations in Gaza, aiming to put more pressure on Hamas. Deadly airstrikes....

Deadly Storms And Tornadoes Threaten Millions Across The U.S.

Strong, warm winds blowing at 50 mph swept into southwestern Tennessee on Wednesday, knocking out power for thousands. This was....

Putin Orders 160,000 New Troops As Ukraine War Intensifies

Russia is launching one of its biggest military recruitment drives in years. President Vladimir Putin has signed an order to....

Trump Places Tariffs On Remote Islands Near Antarctica

A group of isolated volcanic islands near Antarctica, covered in ice and home only to penguins, is now caught in....

Israel Expands Gaza Operation To Seize Large Areas, Orders Mass Evacuations

Israel’s Defense Minister, Israel Katz, announced on Wednesday a major expansion of the military operation in Gaza. The plan includes....

Palestinian Man Tortured To Death After Criticizing Hamas, Family Says

A 22-year-old Palestinian man, Uday Rabie, was tortured and killed after publicly criticizing Hamas and joining protests against the group....

Iceland Volcano Erupts, Forcing Evacuations Near Grindavik

A powerful volcanic eruption in southwest Iceland has forced residents and tourists to evacuate. The volcano erupted early in the....

U.S. Seeks Death Penalty For Luigi Mangione In CEO’s Murder

U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi has ordered federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty for Luigi Mangione. He is accused....